Admitted To BarAlberta, 1991
1990 LL.B. (University of Alberta)
1978 B.A. (University of Alberta)
Janet has focused her practice in the areas of labour and employment and administrative law over the course of the last 25 years; representing government, institutional and individual clients in connection with all aspects of the employment relationship, including:
- drafting all manner of employment agreements, procedures and governance manuals;
- drafting polices covering such areas as workplace conduct, confidentiality, corrective action, discipline, disability, return to work, drug and alcohol use and abuse, human rights, privacy, security, technology, whistle-blower rights and obligations;
- drafting protocols for and conducting workplace investigations;
- conducting training for staff, management and boards concerning statutory, common-law and contractual rights and obligations;
- representing clients before administrative tribunals and the courts;
- conducting and participating in mediations.
In the area of administrative law, Janet has acted as a single member appellate tribunal in a particular administrative regime since 2008 and is herself counsel to a number of administrative tribunals.
Janet has chaired grievance arbitration panels since 2003.
Member, Law Society of Alberta
Member, Edmonton Bar Association
Member, Canadian Bar Association
Member, Canadian Bar Association Section
Member, Labour and Employment Law Section
Member, Administrative Law Section
Member, Privacy Law Section
Alberta Grievance Arbitration Roster (Appointed January 1, 2007)