Team MembersContact us
Estate planning is more than writing a last will and testament. At Emery Jamieson LLP, we approach estate planning broadly, considering our clients’ needs and wishes both now and in the future. Estate planning can involve reducing or deferring taxes, planning for illnesses, giving to charities, and distributing your property in accordance with your wishes. It can also involve preparing an Enduring Power of Attorney and a Personal Directive to plan for the event of your incapacity to make financial and personal decisions.
We also assist and advise clients in a broad range of estate litigation matters, including applications under the Wills and Succession Act, the Estate Administration Act, and the Adult Guardianship and Trusteeship Act.
We have extensive experience in:
- Preparing estate planning documents tailored to clients’ specific intentions and circumstances, including:
- Personal Directives, and
- Enduring Powers of Attorney;
- Advising clients on estate planning matters;
- Advising clients on dependent adults issues;
- Attending on clients at home and in hospital as circumstances require;
- Advising executors, agents, attorneys, guardians, and trustees;
- Applications for probate, administration, or resealed grants;
- Applications for family maintenance and support under the Wills and Succession Act;
- Estate litigation, including challenging wills;
- Estate and trust administration;
- Advising clients on estates with no will, known as intestate estates;
- Applications under the Adult Guardianship and Trusteeship Act, including emergency guardianship and trusteeship;
- Advising on trusts, including testamentary trusts, spousal trusts, and educational trusts.